- WINDHOEK CITY COUNCIL TO IMPLEMENT WATER RESTRICTION IN NAMIBIA
- KENYA MINISTER SET TO COMMISSION ROADS LINKING SHAKAHOLA FOREST
- DOUBLING OF RESSANO GARCIA RAILWAY TRACK ON COURSE FOR COMPLETION IN MOZAMBIQUE
- GAFI AND PETROTRADE SIGN DEAL TO REGULATE PETROLEUM WASTE IN EGYPT
- RESIDENT CALLS ON GAMBIA GOVT. TO CONSTRUCT A PROPER MARKET STRUCTURE
TRADE ADVISER VACANCY AT BRITISH EMBASSY, ALGERIA
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. British embassy do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
JOB DESCRIPTION AT BRITISH EMBASSY
The British Embassy in Algiers currently has a vacancy for a Trade Adviser. To identify and promote export opportunities in Algeria and help British companies to win business in line with the Department for International trade (DIT) Regional Trade Plan for Africa.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Identifying and generating commercial opportunities in key sectors to include Energy, Education, Agri-Tech, Financial Services, Healthcare, and others as required;
- Matching and introducing UK suppliers into these market opportunities, and supporting companies to win contracts;
- Planning and delivering targeted campaigns and activities in these sectors aimed at increasing the demand for UK goods and services in Algeria;
- Providing professional advice and support to UK companies wishing to develop business in Algeria;
- Assisting the pan African Trade Services Unit in providing high quality market research and organising visit programmes and events to introduce UK companies to the Algerian market;
- Identifying issues faced by British investors active in Algeria and develop and implement clear strategies to resolve them;
- Organising and running events in line with the Regional Trade Plan and relevant campaigns, either independently or in cooperation with internal or external partners;
- Building and maintaining a network of stakeholders, including UK and Algerian businesses (private and public sector), government, commercial partners and multipliers in Algeria as well as in the UK and North Africa;
- Attending relevant events both in Algeria and in region and UK as required;
- Contributing fully to the work of the DIT Africa Team and ensuring the delivery of team targets for export wins and campaign milestones;
- Occasionally act as an interpreter.
Please note that this position will involve some commitments (networking, receptions, and seminars) out of normal working hours.
The job description may be reviewed to meet changes in regional requirements.
Key competencies required:
- Achieving Commercial Outcomes – Being effective in this area is about maintaining an economic, long-term focus in all activities. It’s about having a commercial, financial and sustainable mind-set to ensure all activities and services are delivering added value and working to stimulate economic growth.
- Collaborating and Partnering – People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Leading and Communicating – Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. It’s about supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
- Managing a Quality Service – Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Be a team player, ready to help colleagues and share knowledge willingly
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organisational skills
- Effective time management: able to handle the multiple priorities of the role within the agreed deadlines
- Be a proactive self-starter with an ability to think strategically, and entrepreneurially, moving from everyday detail to the bigger picture
- Have an understanding of local economic and commercial challenges in Algeria and the region
- Fluency in French, Arabic and English (both oral and written)
- A degree-level education, in business, economics or other relevant sector
- Experience of working in business in one or more of the sectors listed above
- A good understanding of the UK and Algerian business scenes
- Strong account management experience and excellent customer relationship management skills
- Excellent IT skills, in particular Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel including the ability to use social media tools to support your activities
- Flexibility for occasional out of hours work and travel