In Nigeria, the UN Women Country Office supports the Nigerian Government to implement its development vision, aligned to United Nations Sustainable Development Partnership Framework (UNSDPF) as well as UN Women’s Strategic Plan.
UN Women Nigeria seeks to engage a young, dynamic graduate to serve as an intern within its Communications team. The internship will initially be issued for a period of three months and subject to good performance, may be extended for a further three months.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Communications Associate, the Communications intern will have the opportunity to learn how to provide communications support that ensures high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. S/He will also have an opportunity to work in close collaboration with the Country Office staff to learn, exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Communications Associate, the intern will, the following tasks:
- Provide support to collect information, write and disseminate content (UN Women social media, newsletters, etc)
- Assist in the production of communication materials that showcase the added value and thought leadership of UN Women Nigeria
- Assist the communications team: in the organization of key outreach events like International Women’s Day, and other project events and opportunities
- Support in dissemination of information and publications;
- Participate in meetings and perform other communications/advocacy support tasks as required.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Strong analytical aptitude, communication and presentation skills
- Good organizational, time management and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work flexibly and meet tight deadlines
- Attention to detail and proven ability to work independently and effectively
Required Skills and Experience
- The intern should be pursuing academic studies in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, Development Studies or other similar subject at postgraduate level.
- Be enrolled in a post graduate school programme (second university degree, or equivalent, or higher)
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent).
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English is required.
- No work experience is required
- Some knowledge and experience in events coverage, organizing events and/or training, media relations and/or advocacy campaigns, using traditional and social media will be an asset
- Some experience in graphic design (Adobe suite) and creating communication materials will be an added advantage
- Strong computer skills, Word, Excel, Power Point.
For more details click Here